This is tearin’ up my heart, and in all the right ways.
Like many former teeny-boppers turned 20-somethings, I was rendered speechless today when I read that Justin Timberlake would be reuniting with his fellow band mates this Sunday at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. From 1999 to 2003, I proudly stanned for these five young men, bought all three of their albums, and recorded countless television appearances and musical performances on VHS. My close family and friends knew that when JC, Lance, Justin, Joey and Chris were on the screen, there was to be no talking and all me getting my life. If you haven’t already heard, Mr. JT is being honored with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award and he is also a scheduled performer. I’m not sure what MTV has got up their sleeves, but here are my five predictions of what could happen Sunday night:
1. They bring down the house with an EPIC medley of their hits. I don’t expect full choreography from them (after all, they are all over 30) so I would be content with an mash-up of “Here We Go”, “Tearin’ Up My Heart”, “Bye, Bye, Bye”, “This I Promise You”, “Pop”, “Gone”, and “It’s Gonna Be Me”, with Justin beatboxing his face when necessary. It would also be dope if they did a little flashback of their past VMA performances, but I won’t ask for TOO much.
2. Justin performs an epic medley of his hits, inserting the four guys during his set and then dismissing them to continue his awesomeness. Just as Beyonce did with Michelle and Kelly at this year’s Super Bowl Halftime Show, I could see Justin getting his entire life, and then pausing to page homage to the four dudes that he came into the game with. I doubt that Joey, Lance, JC and Chris would pop out of the floor like members of Destiny’s Child did, but it’s definitely something to consider.
3. NSYNC reenact their 1999 VMA performance with Britney Spears. Lest you NEVER forget when Madame Britney commanded our attention at the snap of her fingers and gave us “Hit Me Baby…One More Time” realness and introduce her friends NSYNC. Now while I know I may be doing the most with this prediction, you may recall that Britney Spears was the last recipient of the MJ Vanguard Award in 2011. Not to even be petty, but I can only imagine that it’s been years since Justin + Britney have seen one another, so that would also be another cute reunion. *cue Peaches + Herb*
4. The five guys present the award for “Best Group”, with an awesome video montage of their best VMA moments proceeding the announcement of the winner. Granted, it would be wicked if NSYNC (the uncles of the 90’s boy band era) presented One Direction with another Video Music Award.
5. Joey, Lance, JC and Chris simply present JT with his award and keep it moving. While this seems the most likely out of the five options, I would lowkey just be happy to see them all on stage together again.
What do you think is going to happen? Hit me up on Twitter or comment below with your predictions. And don’t forget to tune into the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards live from the Barclays Center on Sunday at 8 PM EST.