Happy Thanksgiving eve-eve y’all.
By now, I’m sure most of you have heard the incomparable Mr. West drop his pearls of wisdom over the airwaves in the latest installment of Sway in the Morning. If you haven’t, you can check out the entire interview here, courtesy of DefJam.com.
Let me just say, that I’ve respected Kanye’s talent since The College Dropout. I remember hearing that record for the first time my freshman year of high school and being absolutely hooked, so much so that I used ‘School Spirit’ in a class video project. But enough of walking down memory lane. In this 40 minute interview with Sway Calloway, Kanye provides us with a multi-dimensional perspective on art, music, culture and fashion. It’s clear that he is definitely on another planet, maybe in another dimension, but you can’t knock the brotha for wanting to make his voice heard. To this day, I still respect his genius, talent and creativity, and believe that he is one of many influential artists of my generation. So without further adieu, here are my top ten quotable moments (and trust me, this was tough) that I thought were just completely mind-blowing, inspiring and intriguing at the same time:
1. “DONDA is like the NBA of creativity.” - He mentions the Will Ferrel movie ‘Semi-Pro’ when he mentions the creative company named after his mom, the late Dr. Donda West.
2. “You don’t think, like, half of Drake’s songs was coming at me ’til the point I had to show up on that stage with him? And he was like, okay — now you see me. And that’s exactly what I’m doing — Y’ALL GON SEE ME.” – No need for those binoculars I guess…
3. “Eve made Adam bite the apple and ever since then it’s been illegal to be naked. I’m just tryna help people with they opinion on the law” - I”m not exactly sure what he means by this, but okay Kanye.
4. “It was like that moment, you know, when I thought about taking Nicki’s verse off of monster because I knew people would say that was the best verse on the best hip hop album of all time, arguably top ten albums of all time. So if I let me ego get the best of me instead of letting that girl get the shop to get that platform to become all that she could be, I would not take it off or marginalize her, and try to stop her from having that shine.” – I think he misused the word ‘marginalize’, but that was nice of him to give Nicki her shine.
5. “I AM WARHOL. I AM THE NUMBER ONE MOST IMPACTFUL ARTIST OF OUR GENERATION. I AM SHAKESPEARE, IN THE FLESH — WALT DISNEY. NIKE. GOOGLE. Now who’s going to be the Medici family and stand up and let me create more? Or do you want to marginalize me until I’m out of my moment? “ - There’s that use of the word ‘marginalize’ again — tell them how you really feel ‘Ye.
6. “YOU AIN’T GOT THE ANSWERS SWAY!” - This one speaks for itself, and will take us all into 2014 comfortably.
7. “What’s the name of your clothing line? We don’t know…” – Shade at its finest.
8. “I’m not marginalized by the brand of the deal that I’ve taken from Universal in order to cut some of my homeboys some checks so we can do creative projects together. I’m not marginalized by the branding concept of G.O.O.D. Music versus Cash Money — all I do is text Baby like, ‘Yo, we need to do something together.’ We not each others enemies.” – He really likes that ‘m’ word, but kudos for wanting to embrace collaboration and not competition.
9. “I started from my mama, now I’m here.” - A pleasant ode to Drizzy Drake. .
10. “…And I’m be the first, straight, hip-hop, loud, celebrity, non-etiquette having, blackout all the time, fresh-ass, super tasteful designer of all time.” – That is quiet the descriptive list, but I believe you can do it ‘Ye.
What did you think of the interview? Leave a comment below or send me a tweet!